Published September 22, 2015
Several students from Cristo Rey Jesuit High School traveled to Philly to spend time with students from Cristo Rey schools across the country and be with the first Jesuit pope. Their photos Instagram show a whirlwind trip.
Rosemary Jean-Louis who went to the Philly as a volunteer social media “digital diplomat” with the World Meeting of Families posted an account below.
— Rosemary Jean-Louis (@rjean_louis) September 28, 2015
— IHM School (@IHMSchool) September 25, 2015
This afternoon Pope Francis visits a parochial school in Harlem. It is scheduled to take place around 3:45 p.m.
Today, the pope shared his message with the United Nations.
— US Catholic Bishops (@USCCB) September 25, 2015
You can read the text of his speech here.
— Joshua Allen (@frjoshallen) September 24, 2015
“I would like to mention four of these Americans: Abraham Lincoln, Martin Luther King, Dorothy Day and Thomas Merton.” – Pope Francis.
A Georgia bishop watched from the gallery when Pope Francis spoke Thursday to Congress. Here are his thoughts:
Savannah Bishop Gregory Hartmayer, O.F.M. Conv., was given the ticket by his congressional representative, Rep. Buddy Carter.
“As an American citizen and as an American bishop, I was extremely proud to see our pope walked into the halls of Congress to a warm and enthusiastic reception by the full Senate and House of Representatives. They immediately came to their feet and there were even some shouts of welcome.”
The lives of four Americans – President Abraham Lincoln, civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr., activist Dorothy Day, and monk and author Thomas Merton – illustrated Pope Francis’ points of liberty, inclusion, social justice and “faith which becomes dialogue and sows peace.”
Hartmayer recalled how both Day and Merton joined the faith as adults, after turbulent lives. In addition to the communion of saints, the pope is holding up these four who have also contributed to our country, he said. The point is to look to the past as models for the future, he said.
“He made me realize the importance of our own history. They made such a valuable contribution of our society.”
— Barb Fraze (@bfraze) September 24, 2015
— Atlanta Archdiocese (@archatl) September 24, 2015
+Talley and +Zarama will join the crowds in Philly for the World Meeting of Families.
Scores of people from the Atlanta Archdiocese are attending the conference and doing acts of service.
Para la misericordia no existen los semáforos en rojo solo necesita corazones humildes +BLZ #PapaEnEUA
— Atlanta Archdiocese (@archatl) September 24, 2015
— Jack Knight (@jpknight2) September 23, 2015
A map and timeline to help you keep tabs of Pope Francis’ visit to Washington, D.C.
4:15 p.m. Scenes from Joint Base Andrews
— Fr. Gashwin (@gashwin) September 22, 2015
— Kelly O'Donnell (@KellyO) September 22, 2015
— FOX 5 Atlanta (@FOX5Atlanta) September 22, 2015
— Atlanta Archdiocese (@archatl) September 22, 2015
— NBC Nightly News (@NBCNightlyNews) September 22, 2015
We’ve got the arrival coverage provided by the Vatican’s Youtube channel.
3:19 p.m. 4 pm
Official schedule while visiting Washington.
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 22 (WASHINGTON, DC)
- 4:00 p.m. Arrival from Cuba at Joint Base Andrews
WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 23 (WASHINGTON, DC)
- 9:15 a.m. Welcome ceremony and meeting with President Obama at the White House
- 11:00 a.m. Papal Parade along the Ellipse and the National Mall (time approximate)
- 11:30 a.m. Midday Prayer with the bishops of the United States, St. Matthew’s Cathedral
- 4:15 p.m. Mass of Canonization of Junipero Serra, Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 24 (WASHINGTON, DC, NEW YORK CITY)
- 9:20 a.m. Address to Joint Meeting of the United States Congress
- 11:15 a.m. Visit to St. Patrick in the City and Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Washington
- 4:00 p.m. Depart from Joint Base Andrews
- 5:00 p.m. Arrival at John F. Kennedy International Airport
- 6:45 p.m. Evening Prayer (Vespers) at St. Patrick’s Cathedral
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 25 (NEW YORK CITY)
- 8:30 a.m. Visit to the United Nations and Address to the United Nations General Assembly
- 11:30 a.m. Multi-religious service at 9/11 Memorial and Museum, World Trade Center
- 4:00 p.m. Visit to Our Lady Queen of Angels School, East Harlem
- 5:00 p.m. Procession through Central Park (time approximate)
- 6:00 p.m. Mass at Madison Square Garden
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 26 (NEW YORK CITY, PHILADELPHIA)
- 8:40 a.m. Departure from John F. Kennedy International Airport
- 9:30 a.m. Arrival at Atlantic Aviation, Philadelphia
- 10:30 a.m. Mass at Cathedral Basilica of Sts. Peter and Paul, Philadelphia
- 4:45 p.m. Visit to Independence Mall
- 7:30 p.m. Visit to the Festival of Families Benjamin Franklin Parkway
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 27 (PHILADELPHIA)
- 9:15 a.m. Meeting with bishops at St. Martin’s Chapel, St. Charles Borromeo Seminary
- 11:00 a.m. Visit to Curran-Fromhold Correctional Facility
- 4:00 p.m. Mass for the conclusion of the World Meeting of Families, Benjamin Franklin Parkway
- 7:00 p.m. Visit with organizers, volunteers and benefactors of the World Meeting of Families, Atlantic Aviation
- 8:00 p.m. Departure for Rome
— US Catholic Bishops (@USCCB) September 22, 2015
Track the pope on FlightAware. He’s on Alitalia 4001.
(That’s a stock image of an Airbus A330-200)
— Busted Halo (@BustedHalo) September 22, 2015
Tuesday, 11:24 a.m.
IHM Students Welcome Pope Francis to the U.S.A. as His Airplane Flies Over Atlanta on the Way to D.C.
Pope Francis is flying to Washington, D.C., today.
In a symbolic sign of welcome, as the pope’s plane flies over Georgia, the Immaculate Heart of Mary School plans to gather on the school’s back field and welcome him to the United States with signs, song and prayers.
All parents and members of the community are welcome, but must allow time to sign in at the front office before going to the back field.
“We pray that our community and our entire country, enlivened by the Holy Spirit, will be renewed in our efforts to be peacemakers for God. Welcome, Pope Francis!” said a news release.
— Sarah Catherine (@scatherinewelch) September 22, 2015