People often are tempted to think their relationship with God is some kind of commercial transaction where they buy God’s grace with their hard work, Pope Francis said at his Sunday Angelus.
By JUSTIN MCLELLAN, Catholic News Service
Published September 22, 2023
The Vatican is asking all baptized people, regardless of whether they will be in Rome, to participate in October’s assembly of the Synod of Bishops with their prayers.
By PAULINA GUZIK, OSV News
Published September 13, 2023
In one of the most significant moments in Polish post-war history, the Ulma family was beatified in Markowa Sept. 10. They were killed by German occupants of Poland for giving shelter to eight Jews in their home.
By RUSSELL SHAW, OSV News
Published September 7, 2023
When the cardinals gathered 45 years ago to choose a successor to Pope Paul VI, they wanted—not unreasonably—a smiling pope. In the person of Cardinal Albino Luciani, patriarch of Venice, they got one.
More Vatican articles
- Jesus is the answer to human longing, pope says at Mass in Mongolia
- Guadalupe shows how faith is shared simply, with respect, pope says
- Jesus does not abandon individuals or the church, pope says at Angelus
- Pope to young people: To tackle life’s ups and downs, look to the elderly
- Pope names 21 cardinals, including U.S.-born Archbishop Prevost, and apostolic nuncio
- Be modern prophets by guiding others to the Holy Spirit, pope asks
- Pope returns to Vatican, ‘is better than before,’ chief surgeon says
- Pope thanks well-wishers for prayers; Vatican says recovery going smoothly
- Pope to undergo surgery for hernia, expected to remain in hospital
- Those with political power must be ‘servants’ to citizens, pope says
- Holy Spirit defends, consoles those who call on his help, pope says
- World Youth Day helps inspire young people to serve others, pope says
- Pope prays that Easter joy would break through gloom of sin, war, strife
- Palm Sunday: Pope says be close to those ‘abandoned’ like Christ