For two days, the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops met in plenary assembly in Baltimore advancing key issues related to liturgy, living out the faith, including in the public square, and retooling the conference to better serve the church’s mission.
Published November 20, 2023
Archbishop Gregory J. Hartmayer, OFM Conv., sent a letter of condolence to President Jimmy Carter and his family upon learning of the death of Former First Lady Rosalynn Carter Nov. 19.
By KATE SCANLON, OSV News
Published October 25, 2023
The Georgia Supreme Court Oct. 24 rejected a lower court’s ruling, allowing a Georgia law restricting abortion after six weeks gestation to remain in effect amid ongoing legal challenges.
By SUEANN HOWELL, OSV News
Published October 20, 2023
The Order of Friars Minor—known as the “lesser brothers” of the Franciscan orders for their humility and simple brown robes—have formed a new, unified Province of Our Lady of Guadalupe that spans the United States coast to coast. The province will be headquartered in Atlanta.
More National News articles
- U.S. bishops pray for peace following Hamas’ attack on Israel
- U.S. delegates say prayer is key to synod
- New York cardinal: Let us remember 9/11 but not forget the day after
- Global status of religious liberty ‘dire,’ House lawmakers warn
- Abuse allegations down, but challenges remain, say US bishops in report
- Pro-lifers call for action at ‘National Celebrate Life Day’ rally on Dobbs anniversary
- U.S. bishops advance initiatives to strengthen church amid discussions on Eucharist, priesthood, synodality
- Experts hope for progress on health care, disability ministry and Hispanic Catholics at U.S. bishops’ June meeting
- Pro-life activists mark Dobbs’ first anniversary, advocate for pregnancy support
- National Eucharistic Pilgrimage connects Catholics to 2024 Congress
- Archbishop Hartmayer speaks on behalf of Catholic Communication Campaign
- Supreme Court blocks lower court’s restrictions on abortion pill
- Tennessee’s Catholic bishops join in letter to lawmakers urging passage of gun safety measures
- Synod’s North American phase concludes with call to mission, moves to Rome