U.S. House lawmakers called the global status of religious liberty “dire” during a hearing July 18, citing concerns across the globe from China to Nicaragua.
By KATE SCANLON, OSV News
Published September 8, 2023
Cardinal Timothy Dolan said that in remembering the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, one should also reflect on Sept. 12, 2001, when Americans came together, he said, to console and recover.
By GINA CHRISTIAN, OSV News
Published July 18, 2023
Abuse allegations against Catholic clergy and religious in the U.S. declined last year, but challenges remain regarding protecting vulnerable adults and ensuring online safety, according to the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops.
By KATIE YODER, OSV News
Published June 25, 2023
The 2023 National Celebrate Life Day rally commemorated the Supreme Court’s ruling in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization that overturned Roe, which legalized abortion nationwide in 1973, and freed states to decide abortion policy.
More National News articles
- U.S. bishops advance initiatives to strengthen church amid discussions on Eucharist, priesthood, synodality
- Experts hope for progress on health care, disability ministry and Hispanic Catholics at U.S. bishops’ June meeting
- Pro-life activists mark Dobbs’ first anniversary, advocate for pregnancy support
- National Eucharistic Pilgrimage connects Catholics to 2024 Congress
- Archbishop Hartmayer speaks on behalf of Catholic Communication Campaign
- Supreme Court blocks lower court’s restrictions on abortion pill
- Tennessee’s Catholic bishops join in letter to lawmakers urging passage of gun safety measures
- Synod’s North American phase concludes with call to mission, moves to Rome
- Archbishop Hartmayer blesses tabernacle at world’s busiest airport
- Emotional LA sheriff details arrest in death of Bishop O’Connell; motive remains unclear
- FBI faces scrutiny about memo on ‘radical traditionalist Catholics’
- ‘We are not yet done’: March for Life holds first national event after overturn of Roe v. Wade
- ‘His memory still resonates with us’: Franciscan sister recalls MLK’s deathbed
- Pope Benedict’s 2008 U.S. visit a whirlwind with timely, pointed messages