Pope Francis warns the clock is ticking on the dangers of climate change–and both a paradigm shift and practical action are critically needed to avert looming disasters in nature and human society. The pope released his new apostolic exhortation “Laudate Deum” (“Praise God”) Oct. 4.
By CATHOLIC NEWS SERVICE
Published November 8, 2023
As the wars, violence and deaths continue in Ukraine and in the Holy Land, Pope Francis again urged people to pray for peace. “Let us think about and pray for populations suffering from war,” he said Nov. 8 at the end of his weekly general audience.
By MARIA WIERING, OSV News
Published October 9, 2023
Several U.S. bishops called for prayers for peace following Hamas’ Oct. 7 attack on Israel.
By PAULINA GUZIK, OSV News
Published September 13, 2023
In one of the most significant moments in Polish post-war history, the Ulma family was beatified in Markowa Sept. 10. They were killed by German occupants of Poland for giving shelter to eight Jews in their home.
More World News articles
- Archbishop Hartmayer praises CRS work in Honduras
- Lisbon basks in joy as World Youth Day opens
- Global status of religious liberty ‘dire,’ House lawmakers warn
- World Youth Day helps inspire young people to serve others, pope says
- Pope arrives in Hungary preaching cooperation, welcome–not isolation
- Notre Dame Cathedral reopening date announced
- ‘Fraternity, tears, smiles’: Pope shares hopes for the future
- Catholic aid agencies launch emergency collections for quake victims in Turkey, Syria
- Pope saddened by ‘huge loss of life’ after earthquakes in Turkey and Syria
- Pope, ecumenical leaders urge displaced South Sudanese to be peacemakers
- Pope, in Congo, calls for an ‘amnesty of the heart’ to build peace
- Cardinal Pell dies at 81; he kept the faith even amid tribulation, pope says
- At funeral, pope remembers Benedict’s ‘wisdom, tenderness, devotion’
- Thousands pay last respects to Pope Benedict in St. Peter’s Basilica