Published March 6, 2023
SHARON—On Feb. 2, six bishops, several priests and laymen and women celebrated the 200th anniversary of the historic Church of the Purification of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Sharon.
The clergy came from the dioceses of Atlanta, Savannah and Charleston to celebrate a Mass in the church, which was followed by the blessing of the sculpture “Simeon and the Christ Child” by artist Kevin Chambers of Atlanta.
The event concluded with a prayer and blessing of the original church site in Locust Grove Cemetery by Bishop Jacques Fabre-Jeune, CS, of the Diocese of Charleston. This fitting end to the day’s program highlighted the original dedication of the church by Bishop John England of Charleston on Feb. 2, 1823.
Sharon is the site of the oldest Catholic congregation in Georgia, circa 1790. For information, visit www.purificationheritagecenter.org.
Contact Andrew Nelson at firstname.lastname@example.org with Notable submissions.