Published May 24, 2012
Here, listed by the federal jurisdiction in which they were filed, are the plaintiffs in the 12 lawsuits filed May 21 against the Department of Health and Human Services’ mandate that most health plans must cover sterilizations and contraceptives, including some abortion-inducing drugs.
District of Columbia
– Archdiocese of Washington
– Consortium of Catholic Academies, Hyattsville, Md.
– Archbishop Carroll High School, Washington
– Catholic Charities of Washington
– The Catholic University of America, Washington
Eastern District of New York
– Archdiocese of New York
– ArchCare, New York
– Diocese of Rockville Centre, N.Y.
– Catholic Health Services of Long Island
– Catholic Charities of Rockville Centre
Western District of Pennsylvania (Erie Division)
– Diocese of Erie, Pa.
– St. Martin Center, Erie
– Prince of Peace Center, Farrell, Pa.
Western District of Pennsylvania (Pittsburgh Division)
– Diocese of Pittsburgh
– Catholic Charities of Pittsburgh
– Catholic Cemeteries Association of Pittsburgh
Northern District of Texas (Dallas Division)
– Diocese of Dallas
Northern District of Texas (Fort Worth Division)
– Diocese of Fort Worth
Southern District of Ohio (Columbus Division)
– Franciscan University of Steubenville
– Michigan Catholic Conference
Southern District of Mississippi (Gulfport Division)
– Diocese of Jackson
– Diocese of Biloxi
– Catholic Charities of Jackson
– Vicksburg Catholic School, Vicksburg, Miss.
– St. Joseph Catholic School, Madison, Miss.
– De l’Epee Deaf Center, Gulfport, Miss.
– Catholic Social & Community Services, Biloxi, Miss.
– Resurrection Catholic School, Pascagoula, Miss.
– Sacred Heart Catholic School, d’Iberville, Miss.
– St. Dominic Health Services, Jackson.
Northern District of Indiana (South Bend Division)
– University of Notre Dame
Northern District of Indiana (Fort Wayne Division)
– Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend
– Catholic Charities of Fort Wayne-South Bend
– St. Anne Home, Fort Wayne, Ind.
– Franciscan Alliance, Mishawaka, Ind.
– Our Sunday Visitor, Huntington, Ind.
– University of Saint Francis, Fort Wayne.
Northern District of Illinois
– Diocese of Joliet
– Diocese of Springfield, Ill.
– Catholic Charities of Joliet
– Catholic Charities of Springfield
Eastern District of Missouri (St. Louis Division)
– Archdiocese of St. Louis
– Catholic Charities of St. Louis
In addition, other Catholic entities have filed separate lawsuits against the mandate. These include Belmont Abbey College in North Carolina (November 2011), Eternal Word Television Network in Birmingham, Ala. (Feb. 9), Priests for Life in Staten Island, N.Y. (Feb. 15), Ave Maria University in Florida (Feb. 21) and the Florida-based group Legatus (May 8).
Catholic employers Frank R. O’Brien of O’Brien Industrial Holdings in St. Louis (March 15) and William Newland, James Newland, Paul Newland, Christine Ketterhagen and Andrew Newland of Hercules Industries in Denver (April 3) also have filed suit against the mandate.