Published October 16, 2008
On Sept. 8, the feast of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary and in honor of Mary’s birthday, students and faculty at Queen of Angels School dedicated their 10th school year to Mary, Queen of Angels, with a Mass, prayer service and blessing.
The Mass, held at neighboring St. Peter Chanel Church, was celebrated by Archbishop-emeritus John F. Donoghue, and concelebrated by pastor Father Frank McNamee, Deacon Ray Egan and Deacon Scott Sparks.
After Mass the school community gathered in front of the recently installed bronze statue of Mary for the blessing. The eighth-grade students processed to the statue, each holding a yellow rose for Mary. Archbishop Donoghue led the students, their parents and faculty in a decade of the rosary and then a litany to Mary. He then blessed the school and parent community.
At the conclusion of the blessing all sang the hymn “Ave Maria.” Ten white doves, with a prayer attached to one, were released. The doves are part of a bird sanctuary in Roswell.
Queen of Angels School opened its doors on Sept. 16, 1999. The school plans a yearlong celebration including a golf and tennis tournament, alumni social, gala auction and Christian rock concert.
Queen of Angels School is located at 11340 Woodstock Road, Roswell. For more information call (770) 518-1804 or visit the school’s Web site at www.qaschool.org.