By GEORGIA BULLETIN STAFF | Published February 26, 2021
ATLANTA–As the nation reached a heartbreaking milestone of more than 500,000 lives lost to the COVID-19 virus, Archbishop Gregory J. Hartmayer asked all parishes to celebrate memorial Masses for victims and others who have died in the last year.
In a Feb. 24 memo to priests, deacons and religious, the archbishop acknowledged the pain of separation during the pandemic and the hindrances to normal mourning processes.
“For Catholics, the celebration of a memorial Mass or the Mass of Christian Burial offers great solace when we lose someone close to us,” he said. “On Tuesday, March 2, in the noon hour, I am asking all of our parishes to celebrate a Memorial Mass for all of those who have died during these past 12 months. This will be a time for us to pause and be mindful of not only the deaths of those affected by COVID-19 but all others who have passed from this life to the next,” he said.
Bishop Joel M. Konzen, SM, will be celebrating a memorial Mass at the Chancery that day at noon. It will be streamed live on the archdiocesan Livestream and Facebook pages.
“As we gather for these Masses, either in person or virtually, let us also lift up in prayer the victims’ families, friends, coworkers and in a particular way, the caregivers and medical professionals who have also sacrificed so much,” said Archbishop Hartmayer. “We are a people of hope. Our greatest hope comes with the promise of the resurrection.”